Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The Fruit of My Labor!

I've been in teaching profession for 2 years and 8 months now. My class needs a lot of remediation; a lot of reading materials to use to enhance their reading abilities. And writing them all in sheets of manila paper is not quite a good idea for me, since my hand writing is not as neat as it should be. These thin sheets of paper tear up and get wet easily. And when that nightmare happens -- cutting, folding, and writing them all over is too laborious. *hands up with white flag* That's why I decided to study how to layout tarpaulin in Microsoft Publisher and started to encode English, Filipino, and Mathematics remediation materials available. Yes, it is stressful, too. But knowing the length of time that I'm going to use them, keeps me going.

I am free to decide how I want the tarps to look like. I can change the layout whenever I want. I am the boss. At the same time, I am exploring how it is done. Applying the principles of: Learn by doing and patience is virtue.


I decided to take a photo with it posted on the board. :) Just the size of one half sheet of  manila paper.

What I encoded were my mother's reading materials who has been teaching Grade 2 for over two decades now. Her materials were also adapted from Mr. Paat. He is a retired principal in our district, who was committed in teaching children to read with his  reading technique. She revised his technique -- her way to help her learners to read.

Actually, I posted the Remedial Reading in Filipino and English in DepEd Tambayan Facebook group page last year. There was a technical error in the posted pictures. It was too late that I found out they weren't set up in 2 feet by 3 feet size. I'm terribly sorry. My mistake. But now, I had it corrected.

I set up the following remediation materials in 2 feet by 3 feet sizes:
Remedial Reading in English
4 pieces
Remedial Reading in Filipino
18 pieces
Writing Numbers in Words
4 pieces
Basic Math Operations
5 pieces

A total of 31 pieces. If I had it layout in the printing shops that would cost me additional fees. Since I gave it to them ready-to-print, I spent sixty pesos (P60.00) only per 2 ft. x 3 ft. tarp since it is a buckle. Multiply it by 31. I spent one thousand eight hundred sixty pesos (P1,860.00) only for the 31 tarpaulins. It might be 4 digits but lesser than the actual money to be spent. Economical, isn't it? *smiling* It took me few months to finish encoding them all. It is not easy, in fact, I often have lack of sleep. It is time-consuming. But, it is worth it.

Anytime soon I am going to post in this blog the ready-to-print-JPEG-format soft copies of these materials for anyone who is interested to have a long-term use of reading materials -- for free. I hope this will help other teachers out there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment